Being a mother has completely changed my perspective in life. I arrogantly and naively thought that I could still  feel and think the same once this new person came into our lives, that I'll be able to "have it all" but nope. Sounds cliche I know and there's so many literature out there detailing the changes a parent experiences both mentally and emotionally once a child enters a person's life but boy.. was I in for a surprise.

Granted it wasn't anything ground breaking or earth shattering to say the least. It is more like a second to second, minute to minute change that one feels as they go on with their daily responsibilities and life. Before we had our daughter, I thought that mothers who gave up their careers to be a stay-at-home moms were weak (see where that got me lol). I thought I was going to be able to drop my baby at day care at 6 months, which I thought was obviously wayy better than 3 months, and bounce back to work immediately. Of course I knew how "challenging" it'll be and quietly prayed that I'll have more time. But if I were to be honest with myself, I thought I'll be totally fine.

Well, the pandemic changed everything. Or more like it allowed me to avoid experiencing that dilemma of dropping my baby in the hands of total strangers and have the privilege to stay at home with my husband for a good 5 months before I was asked to go back to work, albeit three times a week. Then the second lock down happen after two months of being back, and I was able to work from home for another six months of twice a week, and then leave the country to visit my parents for another three months, completely working from home.

All in all, my daughter has had either her father, or both of us, every single day, for the first 18 months of her life! And still counting!

I know how fortunate we are. And I try to remind myself everyday about it.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog